Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Hub, Farnborough Business Park, Farnborough, GU14 7JF

GoldFish Removals & Storage - "Providing Solutions"

T: 01252 302341

My Blog


view:  full / summary

checklist for moving house

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM Comments comments (227)
Resolve to book GoldFish Moving as soon as you exchange contracts and the completion date is set. Get at least three estimates from different firms and don't automatically accept the cheapest; you tend to get what you pay for. When comparing estimates, make sure you are comparing like with like. Are packing materials, boxes, cartons and crates and VAT all included? A few weeks before the move, the removal firm should send someone to establish what the move will entail. Now is the time to point out anything that needs special care and attention, such as antiques, computers, pictures, etc. Highlight any large or awkward items of furniture, such as a piano - which may require a specialist handler and/or have to be winched in through a window - or sofa. Tell GoldFish Moving if access from your old property or to your new property is likely to be difficult. Parking space for the removal lorry will also need to be considered. Such problems can add to the cost of a move and should be considered in the estimate. Don't accept an estimate over the phone. All quotations should be in writing and include pricing for packing, loading and unloading, storage (if required), special handling for breakables and valuables and any other special requests, such as curtain hanging and cleaning. When you accept an estimate, insist that a written quotation is sent to you as soon as possible. Establish a written timetable with the removal firm and check the foreman has all the necessary details. Make sure the removal firm has a clear map showing how to find your new home.

  • Notify relevant parties of your new address
    • Telephone and Internet service providers
    • Notify TV Licensing of your new address. Your TV licence doesn't automatically move with you when you move house. If you don't notify TV Licensing of you new address, you could end up being unlicensed in your new home, even if you paid for a licence at your old address. Anyone who watches TV without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1000, so make sure you're covered. It's easy to update your details. Simply log on to or call 0844 800 6722 and follow the instructions. You'll be asked for your TV Licence number and new address. It only takes a minute or two to transfer your licence.
    • Bank, building society, pension provider and any company you have loans or investments with
    • Credit card and store card companies
    • Inland Revenue - see for a list of offices
    • Local council regarding council tax
    • Subscriptions to magazines, charities, etc.
    • Employers
    • The schools your children attend
    • It is a legal requirement to notify DVLA - you will need to renew your driving licence and vehicle registration document
    • Friends, family and colleagues.

  • Using storage facilities
  • GoldFish Moving will accept practically anything as long as it isn't perishable (food, plants, etc), flammable (noxious chemicals), illegal (drugs, cash waiting to be laundered) or alive (pets, children). Expect to be charged for packing, delivery to and from your house, the amount of space required and the length of time items are to be stored. Insurance can be arranged through GoldFish Moving or through your household insurance. GoldFish Moving will make an inventory of everything in storage for your piece of mind.

  • On the big day
  • Make sure the foreman has a layout of your new home so furniture is put in the correct room. Ensure GoldFish Moving has access to your new home and is able to park outside the property if necessary. Have all paperwork and contact numbers relating to the move with you. Upon arrival, read the meters and check that the phone, security alarm, electricity, gas, central heating and water work. Make sure all items that were included in the sale, such as carpets, curtains and light fittings, are there. If there is anything missing, contact your solicitor. Alert your surveyor immediately to any serious faults in the building that were missed in the original survey. Think about getting the locks changed on your new property - you never know who the previous owners may have given spare keys to in the past. Even if everything is in order and has run smoothly, the chances are by the end of the day you'll be too shattered to move, so collapse on the sofa, order a takeaway and crack open a bottle of champagne.

Facts about Camberley

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM Comments comments (146)
Camberley is a town in Surrey, England, situated 31 miles (50 km) southwest of central London, in the corridor between the M3 and M4 motorways. The town lies close to the borders of both Hampshire and Berkshire; the boundaries intersect on the western edge of the town where all three counties converge. It is the main town in the borough of Surrey Heath. Camberley's suburbs include Crawley Hill, Heatherside, Yorktown and the Old Dean.
The town has a population of 30,155, whilst the Aldershot Urban Area (which also includes other towns, such as Aldershot, Farnborough, and Farnham) has a population of 243,344, making it the thirtieth-largest urban area in the UK.
Before the 19th century, the area now occupied by Camberley was referred to as Bagshot Heath, which was known as a haunt of Highwaymen such as William Davies - known as the Golden Farmer - and Claude Duval. The land remained largely undeveloped due to a sandy topsoil making it unsuitable for farming. In A tour thro' the Whole Island of Great Britain, written between 1724 and 1726, Daniel Defoe described the area as barren and sterile; "a mark of the just resentment shew’d by Heaven upon the Englishmen’s pride... horrid and frightful to look on, not only good for little, but good for nothing".
In the 1750s, a brick tower was built on top of The Knoll in the 1750s by John Norris of Blackwater. It may have been used for communications but there is no firm evidence. The remains are now known as The Obelisk.
The Obelisk, painted by John Hassell in 1812
According to William Golding's Lord of the Flies the town used to be called Cambridgetown but was necessarily renamed to avoid confusion with Cambridge in delivering letters.
19th century
The town as it now stands has its roots in the building of The Royal Military College, which later became the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in 1812. A settlement known as "New Town" grew in the area around the college which in 1831 was renamed Yorktown, after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany. At this time, the population was 702. In 1848, the parish church of St.Michael at Yorktown was built by Henry Woodyer.
Later, the Staff College was established to the east of the Academy, and a property speculator built the nearby Cambridge Hotel. The surrounding area became known as Cambridge Town, but was renamed "Camberley" in January 1877 to avoid confusion by the General Post Office with Cambridge in Cambridgeshire. The renaming of Camberley was mentioned in the 1963 film adaptation of Lord of the Flies. The character Piggy states that the new name consisted of three parts; "Cam" taken from the original name of Cambridgetown, "ber" taken from the name of a nearby river (though in fact there is no river with this name), and "ley" because it is a common ending for English town names (as in neighbouring Frimley), although the name was actually derived from the "Cam" stream which runs through the town (mainly underground), "Amber" Hill which was marked on John Norden's map of the area in 1607 and "ley" usually meaning a clearing in the woodland. Hugh Edwards, the child actor who played Piggy, attended Camberley Primary School which was demolished to make way for the town centre redevelopment.
During the 19th century, Camberley grew in size. This was given added impetus with the arrival of the branch-line railway and railway station in 1878 and a reputation for healthy air, due to the vast number of pine trees, which were said to be good for those suffering from pulmonary disorders. By the end of the century the population had reached 8,400. Since then, the town has absorbed the original settlement of Yorktown, which is now regarded as part of Camberley.
20th century
King's Ride
The Southern Scott Scramble, the first known motorcycle scrambling event, took place on Camberley Heath on 29 March 1924. The event, won by A.B. Sparks, attracted a crowd in the thousands and is considered to be the first instance of what later developed in the sport of motocross. During the Second World War, the Old Dean common was used as an instruction camp of the Free French Forces. The Kremer prize was conceived in the Cambridge Hotel in Camberley in 1959 after Henry Kramer toured a Microcell factory.
The Old Dean housing estate was built in the 1950s on the "Old Dean Common" for residents of heavily bombed Surrey-area's homeless after World War II. Many of the roads on that half of the Old Dean are named after areas of London, with the others named after places on the common.
Camberley falls under the siren test area of Broadmoor Hospital, a secure mental hospital in nearby Crowthorne. The siren was installed following a public outcry at the escape of child-murderer John Thomas Straffen in April 1952. The siren is still tested every Monday at 10am.
In 1969 there was an outbreak of rabies when a dog, just released from a sixth month quarantine after returning from Germany, attacked two people on Camberley Common. The scare resulted in restriction orders for dogs and large-scale shoots to carry out the destruction of foxes and other wildlife.
21st century
After much debate and delay (plans having been discussed for over half a decade), construction started in May 2006 on a new 7-acre (28,000 m) mixed-use development west of Park Street. Named 'The Atrium', the new development includes residential, leisure and retail facilities, as well as a 900 space car park. There are 217 'design-led' apartments divided into three areas within the complex (named Centro, Aspect and Courtyard). Fourteen new retail units face directly onto Park Street, opposite the Main Square shopping centre. Park Street has been pedestrianised and landscaped as part of the development. Leisure facilities include a nine-screen cinema, bowling alley, a health and fitness club, cafés and restaurants. Various elements of The Atrium was opened during 2008, with the final elements, the main cinema and bowling Alley, opening in October and November 2008 respectively.
In 2009 the town's households were named by Experian as having the highest CO2 footprint in the UK, estimated at 28.05 tonnes per household per year (compared to 18.36 tonnes for the lowest, South Shields).
Camberley is situated in the far west of Surrey, adjacent to the borders of Hampshire's Hart district and Berkshire's Bracknell Forest district. It lies directly between the A30 national route and M3 motorway (junction 4 exit). It is at the northern edge of the Blackwater Valley conurbation, 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Farnborough, 8 miles (13 km) south of Bracknell and 17 miles (27 km) east of Basingstoke.
The smaller town of Frimley, being so close to Camberley, is often thought to be a part of the town by many visitors to the area, although the two are, for the most part, separated by the M3 motorway. Frimley has its own town centre, a major regional hospital (Frimley Park) and extensive suburban areas. In the 19th century, Yorktown and Camberley were in the Ecclesiastical Parish of Frimley.
The neighbouring town of Blackwater, 3 km (1.9 mi) to the west is also considered by some to be a suburb of Camberley; however, it is actually situated in the Hart District of Hampshire and has its own town council. The same could be said for Sandhurst which is home of "The Meadows" retail park and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, all of which are in the Bracknell Forest borough of Berkshire.
Pembroke Broadway
Camberley's town centre is host to The Mallshopping centre, built around the Main Square. This is a late 1980s development anchored by stores such as House of Fraser. The Main Square features a large clock in the centre of the complex which also houses a lift up to a café opposite a Primark store. The High Street has a number of shops as well as bars and clubs, many of the latter being more recent additions. There are a number of secondary shopping streets including Park Street, Princess Way and parts of London Road, including the new "Atrium" development.
Major employers include Siemens, which moved its UK headquarters to the area in 2007, Burlington Credit who moved into Watchmoor Park in 2009 and, until 2010, Sun Microsystems, whose UK headquarters was located just across the Hampshire border in Minley next to the M3 motorway at junction 4a, before the takeoverby Oracle and subsequent move to Thames Valley Park in Reading. Krispy Kreme UK are based in Albany Park, an industrial estate to the south of the town centre.
The town has its own public library, cinema and theatre and is home to the Surrey Heath Borough Council offices. The Vue cinema opened in The Atrium development in late 2008 the year after an older cinema, owned by Robin's Cinemas, and situated on London Road some distance from the town centre, burned down in 2007 after having closed in 2003.
Camberley and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst are featured in a Doctor Who comic story entitled "The Warkeeper's Crown".
A familiar landmark in Camberley is the concrete pipe white elephant which is on the A30 approaching The Meadows roundabout.
Camberley Concrete Elephant
Arriva Guildford & West Surrey bus passing over the level crossing by Camberley railway station.
Camberley railway station is situated south of the town centre on the Ascot to Guildford line. It is connected to Guildford, Aldershot and Ascot by South West Trains with two trains per hour in either direction.
Due to Camberley's inconvenient situation between the South Western Main Line and the Waterloo to Reading Line, and capacity and stock constraints on the latter mainline, direct services to and from London Waterloo only run at peak hours, running via Ascot and Richmond. At all other times, passengers from Camberley must change at Ascot or Ash Vale for connections to London. Additionally, nearby Farnborough station (accessible within 30 minutes by bus) offers four trains per hour towards Waterloo, with stopping services to Basingstoke and semifast services to Portsmouth or Poole every half-hour.
Nearby Blackwater station (situated perpendicular to the A30 on the border of Hampshire, Surrey and Berkshire) on the North Downs Line is operated by First Great Western, and alternates between an hourly stopping service from Reading to Redhill and an hourly semifast service continuing to Gatwick Airport. All eastbound services call at Guildford.
The town is served by the following main bus routes:
Camberley lies on the A30 and lies between Junction 3 and Junction 4 of the M3 motorway.
There are two small airports nearby: Farnborough Airfield at Farnborough and Blackbushe Airport near Yateley. Farnborough Airfield is well-known for its International Air Show. Heathrow is 30 km (19 mi) away.
The A30 leaving Camberley to the north for Bagshot has a large junction named the "Jolly Farmer Roundabout" named after the Public House that stood on it. The Pub is now an American golf discount store.
There are a number of schools in Camberley. Collingwood College is famous for being one of the largest in Surrey with over 2000 pupils. Kings International College (formerly France Hill School) is also situated in Camberley. Other schools include Lyndhurst School founded in 1895 and one of only a few day preparatory schools with an unbroken history of over one hundred years, Lyndhurst School Day Nursery, Lakeside Primary School, Watchetts Junior School, Camberley Infant School, Crawley Ridge Junior School,Ravenscote Junior School, Bristow First Infants School, Lorraine Infant School and Nursery, Cordwalles Junior School, The nearest universities are Royal Holloway, University of London which is situated 18 km (11 mi) east of Camberley in Egham, with the University of Surrey (at Guildford) and the University of Reading both being 25 km (16 mi) to the southeast and northwest respectively.
Camberley has an active sporting scene, mainly based around clubs and sports venues such as The Arena, a leisure centre and pool facility located close to the town centre. Camberley and Farnborough Hockey Club plays men's and women's field hockey at Kings International College and draw many players from the region. Camberley Town football club currently plays in the Premier division of the Combined Counties League. The home ground is at Krooner Park, Wilton Road. Camberley rugby football club plays in the London League division 3 South West. The home ground is at the Watchetts recreation ground, Park Road. Camberley Cricket Club 1st XI plays in the Surrey Championship Division 1. Its ground is in Upper Verran Road. Camberley Midweek Cricket League is an after work cricket league that has been running for over 60 years. Members include cricket teams from local companies, schools and government organisations from Camberley, Frimley and Farnborough.
Camberley Lawn Tennis Club has five courts at Southcote Park on Portsmouth Road. Frimley Lawn Tennis Club offer social and competitive tennis. They play at the Watchetts recreation ground in Camberley. Mens, ladies and mixed teams play all year in the Aldershot and District LTA League. Camberley Chess Club plays at the Camberley Baptist Church Hall, Frimley Road, Camberley, GU15 3EN. They were 2007-8 Berkshire League champions. They also compete in several divisions of the Surrey Border League and are current holders of the Bell Trophy. Farnborough & Camberley Cycling Club was formed by an amalgamation of the renowned Camberley Wheelers cycling club and Farnborough Cycling Club in 1969. The Camberley Wheelers had a history that went back to the 1920s or 30s. A current (June 2011) member of the FCCC joined the Camberley Wheelers in 1935. Camberley Kart Club was one of the first kart clubs in the UK started in 196 and situated behind Blackbushe airport and car auctions. TS Diadem (Camberley Sea Cadets) was founded in 1955 and recently moved to new premises in Gilbert Road, opened by the Earl of Wessex in January 2011.
External links

Taking your pets abroad

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 5:38 AM Comments comments (57)
If you're going abroad with your pet cat, dog or ferret, the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) could help avoid long quarantine periods when you return. Working guide dogs and hearing dogs may also travel on the scheme.  
The PETS scheme Pet travel rules, find out what you need to do if you are travelling with a pet on or after 1 January 2012 The scheme is designed to stop the spread of rabies and other diseases while still allowing pets to travel.The UK has been free of rabies for many years, but mammals are still at risk in some other countries.From 1 January 2012 all pet cat, dogs and ferrets can enter or re-enter the UK from any country in the world without quarantine provided they meet the rules of the scheme, which will be different depending on the country or territory the pet is coming from. You can check details and the full procedure for preparing your pet on the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) website.To be eligible, your cat, dog or ferret must:
  • first be fitted with a microchip
  • then be vaccinated against rabies
Pets from EU and listed countries must:
  • wait 21 days from the date of their first rabies vaccination before re-entering the UK or travelling to another country
Pets from unlisted countries must:
  • be blood tested at least 30 days after vaccination with a satisfactory result by a European Union approved laboratory
  • wait three calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken before re-entering the UK
You must also ensure that your pet:
  • is issued with a pet passport by their vet
  • is treated by a vet for tapeworm, not less than 24 hours and not more than 120 hours (1-5 days) before the scheduled time of entry into the UK (dogs only)
  • travels into the UK on a PETS-approved sea, air or rail route
Before you go You must book your return journey into the UK with one of the many PETS-approved carriers, on a PETS-approved route. There is only a limited amount of space and it is allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.You must book in advance or your pet will not be allowed to travel.
Taking care of your pet when travelling These tips can help make your pet's journey as comfortable as possible:
  • make sure your pet is as fit and healthy as possible to withstand the journey
  • give them a light meal about two hours before they travel
  • give your pet the opportunity to go to the toilet before it is put in its carrying container
  • let your pet 'try out' the carrying container before the trip
  • the carrying container should be well-ventilated, roomy enough for the animal to move around, safe and have adequate food and water for the trip, with easily refillable containers for a long journey
  • put a familiar-smelling cushion or rug in the container to help your pet settle
Returning to the UK When returning to the UK, transport staff will check your pet passport to ensure the requirements of the scheme have been met. If there is missing paperwork or your pet has not been prepared correctly it may be:
  • taken into UK quarantine
  • returned to the country from which it has just come
Travelling with registered assistance dogs The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association in partnership with
  • other UK assistance dog organisations
  • Defra
  • a number of UK airlines
has produced a set of guidelines for registered assistance dog owners wishing to use PETS.Pets entering the UK on airlines under the Pet Travel Scheme must normally be carried in the hold. However, guide dogs or other assistance dogs are allowed to travel in the cabin with their owner on certain approved routes.The disabled people section also gives more information on assistance dogs.
More useful links
Useful contacts ATOL (Air Travel Organisers' Licence)

Voting from abroad

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 5:36 AM Comments comments (45)
If you move abroad, you can vote in general elections and European Union elections for up to 15 years, but you need to be registered. However, you can't vote in UK local government elections. You can also vote by post or proxy if you’ll be temporarily abroad on election day.
Registering as an overseas voter Registering to vote Follow the link below to find out how to register to vote
If you are a British citizen living abroad who has registered to vote within the past 15 years, you can apply to be an overseas voter.Applying to be an overseas voterTo apply to be an overseas voter you'll need to download and print a registration form from the About My Vote website. Once you have filled it in, you should send it to the electoral registration office for the area where you were last registered to vote. Or, you can contact the electoral registration office and ask them to send you an overseas voter registration form.
Confirming you are British citizen living abroadYou’ll need to ask someone to sign a witness declaration on your form.Signing the witness declaration means that someone can confirm that you are a British citizen and you aren’t living in the UK when you apply. The person who signs the witness declaration has to be another British citizen living abroad, but not a close relative. They don’t have to live in the same country as you.
Too young to register before moving abroad - what to doIf you aren’t registered to vote in the UK, you can't vote from abroad - unless you were too young to register when moving overseas. If so, you can register with the electoral registration office where your parent or guardian was last registered. You can only register as long as you left the UK within the past 15 years.
Registering to vote if serving abroad in the Armed Forces If you are serving abroad with the Armed Forces, or you may be sent abroad at short notice, you can register as a service voter. Husbands, wives or civil partners of members of the Armed Forces can also register as service voters. You must renew your service declaration every three years.You can register using the UK address where you last lived, or where you would be living if you were still in the UK.Electoral registration forms for service voters can be downloaded by going to the About My Vote website and following the 'Register to vote' link.
How to vote if you are abroad All overseas voters can vote by post or by applying for someone to vote for the candidate of their choice (otherwise known as ‘proxy voting’). If you are an overseas voter , a postal vote will be sent to you about a week before the election. If it would be difficult for you to receive and return a postal vote in time, consider voting by proxy.A proxy vote means you ask someone you know and trust to vote on your behalf. They can go to your polling station, or they can apply to vote for you by post. Find out more about postal and proxy votes in ‘Voting at an election’.
Returning to the UK from abroad Remember to register if you return to live in the UK, so you don't lose your chance to vote. You can register to vote at your new address by filling in a registration form and sending it to your local electoral registration office. If you are serving in the Armed Forces and return to the UK, you can either:
  • continue to register as a service voter
  • register to vote with your local electoral registration office

Voting if you are abroad on election day If you live in the UK but you will be away from home on election day, you can apply to vote by post or by proxy. Find out how to apply for postal or proxy voting in ‘Voting at an election’.

Cultural awareness

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 5:35 AM Comments comments (70)
Understanding a country's laws and customs can help you adjust to a new home abroad. Daily life may be unsettling at first, so any preparation you do could help you adjust more quickly. Appreciating cultural and legal differences could also help you avoid potentially embarrassing or difficult situations.
Learn about a country's people and culture before visiting Before visiting a country, you can learn about its people and be aware of things like its customs, religion and language.A few tips on how to get you started:
  • get a good guidebook and find out about local laws, customs and culture
  • ideally learn the local language and at least take a phrase book
  • respect local customs and dress codes, think about what you wear and how you fit in
  • be discreet about your views on cultural differences and behave and dress appropriately, particularly when visiting religious sites, markets and rural communities
  • you should take particular care not to offend local codes of dress and behaviour with regards to sexual relations, alcohol and drugs - in some countries, for example, it is illegal to drink, and importing alcohol into the country can lead to severe penalties
  • always ask an individual's permission before you take a photograph and respect their wishes - in some cultures, taking a woman's photograph can cause great offence
  • don't haggle too aggressively, in most countries where haggling is the norm, it is done with humour and not for too long - it is important to remember that the discount you are haggling over could be a few pence for you, but a significant means of income for a seller
  • it is best to err on the side of caution - behaviour that would be regarded as innocuous elsewhere can lead to serious trouble

Find out some facts and stats about a country
You can perhaps research the country’s location in relation to the UK. What the capital, population or ethnic make-up is. You can find out what the currency is and exchange rates.
Try and find out what the weather is like. What the latest news is or a sense of the country's history. What the international dialling code is or time difference to the UK.

More useful information

Exporting your vehicle

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 5:33 AM Comments comments (163)
You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) when you are taking your vehicle out of the country on a permanent basis. If you are taking your vehicle or a hired vehicle on a temporary basis, you must take the appropriate documentation with you.
Taking your vehicle abroad for more than 12 months (permanent export) When a vehicle registered in the United Kingdom (UK) is taken out of the country for 12 months or more, it’s regarded as being permanently exported from the UK.You can tell DVLA by filling in the section ‘Notification of Permanent Export’ (V5C/4) of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C), and send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BD. Keep the rest of the registration certificate, as you may need this to re-register the vehicle abroad. Your vehicle will become subject to the legal requirements of the new country when exported.If you don’t have a registration certificate you’ll need to get a certificate of permanent export (V561). Download and complete the V756 ‘Application for certificate or permanent export’ and send to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG.

Moving between Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland (NI) with your vehicle You only need to fill in the change of address section on your V5C (moving from GB to NI) and send to a Driver Vehicle and Operator (DVO) office, or your V5CNI (moving from NI to GB) and send to a DVLA local office as your vehicle is staying in the UK.When transferring the vehicle from GB to NI you should leave the current tax disc on the vehicle until it expires and then re-tax in NI. This is the same for vehicles transferring from NI to GB.The form V561 is no longer applicable when vehicles are moving between GB and NI.
Personalised registration on your vehicle You’ll need to transfer or retain your personalised registration before you export the vehicle. If you don’t, you’ll lose your entitlement to the registration number.

The 'direct export' and 'personal export' schemes You can only take a vehicle abroad under the direct or personal export schemes if you meet the right criteria.Direct exportIf you buy a vehicle under the ‘direct export scheme’ it must be taken abroad without being used on UK roads. You don’t have to pay a first registration fee or vehicle tax.The DVLA local offices that deal with direct exports are:Birmingham, Chelmsford, Northampton, Wimbledon.Once the vehicle is exported the manufacturer or applicant should return the appropriate part of the direct export certificate (V308) to the local office.Personal exportUnder the ‘personal export’ scheme, a vehicle can be used on UK roads for a limited time before exporting it to a country outside the EU. You must either be an overseas visitor to the UK or a UK resident intending to live outside the UK for six months.UK residents can use the vehicle in the UK for up to six months but the vehicle has to be taxed. Overseas visitors can use the vehicle for up to 12 months without tax. A registration mark will be given from the ‘XA – XF’ range and a pink registration certificate (VX302) issued. These vehicles are subject to the first registration fee.DVLA local offices that deal with personal exports are:Beverley, Birmingham, Bristol, Chelmsford, Glasgow, Leeds, Lincoln, Maidstone, Manchester, Northampton, Norwich, Oxford, Stockton, Wimbledon.

Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export) If a UK registered vehicle is taken abroad temporarily, it remains subject to UK law. This means that you as the keeper, must by law make sure that the vehicle stays taxed while it’s overseas. Providing the vehicle has a current MOT certificate and insurance, you’ll be able to tax the vehicle.If you don’t tax the vehicle and it’s brought back to the UK untaxed, the vehicle will need to be transported and not driven upon entry back to the UK and SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) should be declared straight away.You can tax or SORN online or by telephone, but please note that SORN can’t be made while the vehicle is abroad.If you don’t have a registration certificate and you are taking the vehicle out the country on a temporary basis you can get a replacement from DVLA by phoning or applying by post.

The registration certificate may take up to four weeks to arrive. If you need to travel during this time you’ll need to apply for a temporary registration certificate (V379), available from a DVLA local office. You'll need to provide proof of ID and there’s a fee for the service.You should make sure that you meet any international and national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Export licence for historic military vehicles If you are a military vehicle owner, and wish to take your vehicle to another country you will need to apply for an Open General Export Licence. For more information see the Department for Business link.

Taking a hired vehicle abroad temporarily The registration certificate for a leased, hired or rented vehicle will normally be held securely by the company that supplied the vehicle. When travelling abroad it’s important that you are able to show you are allowed to use the vehicle. The Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE 103) is available as evidence of this. The certificate, which is subject to a small fee, may be obtained from the following organisations:
  • AA - Automobile Association
  • RAC - Royal Automobile Association
  • RHA - Road Haulage Association
  • BVRLA - British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association
  • FTA - Fleet Transport Association

More useful links Vehicle tax is due to expire while you're abroad

Preparing to move or retire abroad?

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 5:28 AM Comments comments (83)
Moving abroad is a big step. Apart from considerations concerning family and friends, there are issues around pensions, tax and healthcare costs that you will need to be aware of. Here's a checklist to make sure you've got the essentials covered.
Moving to the EU? As a UK national, you have the right to live in any European Economic Area (EEA) country. If you intend to move to any other country, you should first visit the British Embassy website of that country for further information.
Tax, benefits and pensions Before you move, you can:
  • get an estimate of your State Pension
  • ask HM Revenue & Customs for information about your tax liability on any income over the UK personal allowance, UK tax payable from abroad can vary depending on where you decide to live
  • if you are retiring abroad seek independent tax advice about the benefits of offshore banking, as this could reduce your tax liability depending on where you are living
  • inform HM Revenue & Customs Charity, Assets and Residence (Residency), and the International Pension Centre when you move and provide your contact details abroad
Health Here are some of the things you could consider doing to protect your healthcare needs:
  • find out about welfare rights abroad; some UK benefits are not payable outside the UK, others apply only in the EU or in countries which have agreements with the UK
  • find out about healthcare costs in the country you want to move to
  • you are strongly advised to take out health insurance if appropriate to cover private medical and dental treatment, as well as medical repatriation to the UK
  • inform your and your family's doctor, dentist and other relevant practitioners
Your home and family
Things to remember:
  • if you decide to keep your property in the UK and it is going to be empty or rented out, you will need to let your mortgage lender, insurance providers know
  • look at how the property can be kept secure while you are away, visit the link below for more advice
  • give Land Registry an address where you can be contacted abroad as empty properties or those with tenants can be targeted by fraudsters (see link ‘Protect your property with Land Registry’ below)
  • contact your local council - their Council Tax department and electoral registration unit will need to know when you are leaving and a forwarding address
  • notify your utility companies that you are moving in order to get your final bills and provide a forwarding address for them to send you any outstanding payments or refunds
  • tell your bank, building society or any financial institution that you have a policy or agreement with that you are moving abroad
  • have your mail forwarded by asking for a re-direction form at a Post Office - allow enough time for this to be set up as it can take a few weeks
  • if you have children, notify the school and the local education authority of the date when you will be withdrawing them from school
  • if you have children, ensure you have the other parent’s permission to take the children overseas - you might be breaking the law by taking your children out of the country without permission from the other parent or the UK courts
Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice on international parental child abduction

Farnborough Air Show

Posted on March 12, 2012 at 4:43 AM Comments comments (77)
The Farnborough International Airshow is a seven-day international trade fair for the aerospace industry which is held in even-numbered years in mid-July at Farnborough Airfield in Hampshire, England.
The airshow is organised by Farnborough International Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of ADS Group Limited (A|D|S), a British aerospace industry organization, to demonstrate civilian and military aircraft to potential customers and investors. Along with the Paris Air Show, which is held in odd-numbered years, Farnborough is an important event for the aerospace industry, known particularly for the announcement of new developments and orders.
As of the 2010 edition, the show takes place in five indoor exhibition halls and an outdoor aircraft static display. Demonstration flights and a flying display are held each day of the show. On the last two days, the general public are admitted, and some non-commercial items are added to the static and flying displays. Since 1996, the show has had its own official radio station operated by the staff and students of near-by Farnborough College of Technology.
In 2004, the show was attended by more than 1,300 exhibitors and 150,000 trade visitors.
It is held in the same years as the Berlin Air Show (ILA).
The Farnborough Airshow has its origins in the annual RAF Airshow at Hendon from 1920 to 1937. On 27 June 1932, the Society of British Aircraft Constructors held an exhibition of 35 aircraft by 16 companies at Hendon as the show-piece for the British aircraft industry. With a break for World War II, the show recommenced at Radlett (the site of Handley Page's airfield) in 1946 and was held there until 1948, when the show moved to its present location of Farnborough, Hampshire, home of the Royal Aircraft Establishment in Hampshire, about 30 miles (48 km) south-west of central London. The headquarters of the UK's principal aerospace firm, BAE Systems, is also in Farnborough.
At the 1958 show, the Black Arrows executed a 22-plane formation loop This was a world record for the greatest number of aircraft looped in formation, and remains unbroken to this day.
Initially an annual event, Farnborough changed in 1962 to its present biennial format. It also expanded from a British event to an international one that welcomed exhibitors from all over the world — with the exception, during the Cold War, of countries behind the Iron Curtain.

The most recent airshow was the 47th show, which began on 19 July 2010 and ended on 25 July.
See also References
  1. ^
External links Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Farnborough Airshow

Information on Fleet, Hamsphire

Posted on March 12, 2012 at 4:39 AM Comments comments (3622)
Fleet is a town and civil parish in the Hart district of Hampshire, England, located 37 miles (60 km) south west of London. It is part of Hart District. The 2007 population forecast for Fleet was 31,687. In 2011, Hart, of which Fleet is the main town, was voted the best place to live in the UK by the Halifax Quality of Life study, above areas such as Elmbridge in Surrey and Wokingham in Berkshire.
The site of Fleet was originally heathland in the northern part of the Crondall Hundred. The name Fleet was probably derived from the Norman French word La Flete meaning a stream or shallow water - a reference to the Fleet Pond from which fish had been taken for the monks in Winchester in Medieval times.

Early Days (to 1904)
In 1792 the Basingstoke Canal opened. The canal passed through the town site, but apart from a few inns to serve the passing trade it had little effect on the locality. Apart from the Farnham to Reading road, the site remained largely undeveloped until the construction of the London and South Western Railway, which opened in 1840. In that year a church - Christ Church that was to become the heart of the new ecclesiastial parish of Ewshot and Crookham was built midway between the villages of Crookham and Ewshot. This parish included the area that was to become the town of Fleet. The railway company promoted Fleet Pond for a destination for day excurisons and many people came down from London to skate on the Pond during the winter. This attracted a number of gentry, particularly retired army officers, who moved to the area bounded by Fleet Road, Elvetham Road and Reading Road North and laid the foundations of what was to become known locally as "The Blue Triangle".
By 1860 Charles Lefroy, a local squire, commissioned All Saints Church, Fleet - in the Blue Triangle area in memory of his wife who had died in 1857. The architect was William Burges. The ecclesiastical parish of Ewshot and Crookam was split into two in 1862 with the northern section based on the All Saints church, becoming the new parish of Fleet. The development of Fleet accelerated when the land to the south east of the Blue Triangle was sold for development in 1882 which, unlike the Blue Triangle, was laid out in a grid pattern. Thus it is that there are few very old buildings in Fleet, with much of the modern town formed around Victorian buildings.

As part of the Urban District Council (1904 - 1974)
Under the Local Government Act 1894 many of the duties that had previously been shouldered by the ecclesiastical parishes were transferred to new civil parish and Crookham, Fleet and Crondall each gained an elected parish council. In 1904 the civil parish of Crookham was split into two - Crookham Village and Church Crookham with Church Crookham and Fleet Rural Parish being merged to form the Fleet and Church Crookham Urban District.
As in many parts of Britain, there was a building boom between the First and Second World Wars. Fleet also contains structures built in the 1960s such as the line of shops on the left of the picture below.
The end of Fleet's main high street

As part of the Hart District Council (1974 onwards)
Fleet has expanded in the past few decades with new residential areas being built at Ancells Farm, Zebon Copse (in neighbouring Church Crookham) and Elvetham Heath. Completed in 2008, Elvetham Heath is one of the UK's largest new housing developments, and will add some 5,000 inhabitants to Fleet's population, bringing its total population up to around 36,000, a 20% increase in less than a decade.
Two earlier developments in Fleet involved the opening of a new shopping centre, the Hart Shopping Centre, which was opened officially by HRH The Duchess Of York in 1991. On the same day, she attended the opening of the Hart Leisure Centre on Hitches Lane (towards Church Crookham). The shopping centre was itself developed further in 2001-2.
Although Fleet has traditionally been a dormitory town housing commuters to London, it now has several business parks, mainly occupied by Information Technology companies.
A plan to add a new multiplex cinema was abandoned, a gym was built on the proposed site instead.

Areas and suburbs of the town are Pondtail, Ancells Park and Elvetham Heath. The villages of Crookham Village and Church Crookham have also grown to be contiguous with the town. Immediately surrounding towns and villages include Winchfield, Dogmersfield, Crondall, Ewshot, and Hartley Wintney.
The Fleet PondNature Reserve is a notable beauty spot on the northern edge of the town. The 'pond' itself is in fact the largest freshwater lake in Hampshire. In times past, the lake has frozen over permitting skating. Fleet can be reached from London and Southampton via the M3 motorway, the nearest junction being 4A. Fleet services on the M3 lies at the edge of the town. Its main road, Fleet Road, runs through the town centre from south-west to north-east. Fleet station is on the London Waterloo station to Southampton main line. The train service is run by South West Trains (formerly Network South East). Journey time to Waterloo is about 50 minutes. Express trains do the journey in under 40 minutes. There are small airports nearby at Blackbushe Airport and Farnborough Airfield. The Basingstoke Canal, built at the end of the eighteenth century, connected Fleet to Basingstoke and, in the other direction, London via the Wey navigation. By the early twentieth century, it had fallen into disrepair, but the section between the Wey Navigation and the Blackwell Tunnel (midway between Fleet and Basingstoke) has since been restored by volunteers and is maintained as a leisure facility.

Along with the rest of South East England, Fleet has a temperate climate which is generally wetter and warmer than the rest of the country. The annual mean temperature is approximately 9 °C (48.2 °F) and shows a seasonal and a diurnal variation, but due to the effect of the sea the range is less than in most other parts of the UK. January is the coldest month with mean minimum temperatures between 0.5 °C (32.9 °F) and 2 °C (35.6 °F). June and July are the warmest months in the area with average daily maxima around 25.5 °C (77.9 °F).

Politics and administration
Fleet is administered by Hart District Council and Hampshire County Council. The parliamentary constituency is North East Hampshire. In April 2010 some of the responsibilities of Hart District Council were devolved to three new parish councils: Fleet Town Council, Elvetham Heath Parish Council and Church Crookham Parish Council.

The town has a number of schools including:
The biggest events in the town's calendar are the summer Carnival, the switching on of the Christmas lights as December approaches and the Fleet Half Marathon commonly used in preparation for the London marathon.
Notable people
The art critic and man of letters, John Russell, was born in Fleet in 1919.
The actress Raquel Cassidy was born in Fleet.
The actress Juliet Aubrey was born in Fleet in 1969.
The musician Tim Battersby was born in Fleet in 1949.
The professional tennis player John Feaver was born in Fleet in 1952.
The Formula Renault UK driver Jeremy Metcalfe was born in Fleet in 1988.
The late 1980s pop group Jim Jiminee originated from Fleet.
The golfer Justin Rose grew up in Fleet.
The band The Clientele grew up and formed in Fleet.

See also Basingstoke Canal  References
  1. ^ Hampshire County Council, 2007 Population forecasts
  2. ^ Internet version of Ted Roe - Mainly about Old Fleet and Crookham - About 1975
  3. ^ Hart District Council & Atkins Ltd - Fleet Town Centre Urban Design Framework - Fleet Town Centre Analysis Report November 2006
  4. ^
  5. ^"About south-east England". Met Office. Retrieved 22 March 2010.
  6. ^Hampshire County Council - Fleet
  7. ^New Parish Councils
  8. ^ Fleet Parish Council website
  9. ^ Elvetham Heath Parish Council website
  10. ^ Church Crookham Parish Council website
  11. ^Ofsted report for Heatherside
  12. ^Ofsted report for All Saints
  13. ^Ofsted report for Tavistock Infant School
  14. ^Ofsted report for Velmead
  15. ^Ofsted report for Calthorpe Park School
  16. ^Prospectus for St. Nicholas'
  17. ^
  18. ^ Justin Rose Interview
External links

Dubai properties - financial and legal help to secure your home in Dubai

Posted on February 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM Comments comments (81)
The market for freehold Dubai properties is still in its infancy and, as such, will undergo many changes in the coming years. When you look at a property for sale in Dubai there is financial and legal information that will help you arrive at a decision about whether or not to take the plunge.

Your individual circumstances and taste will determine which home in Dubai is right for you. However, you should be armed with as much knowledge as possible in order that the deal proceeds smoothly and you avoid the pitfalls associated with buying Dubai properties.

Financing the purchase of Dubai properties

How do you plan on financing your purchase? Most people require a loan to buy and before you start looking at property for sale in Dubai you should find out how much you can borrow. You should also think about what impact this will have on your finances and what you can afford to buy.

You can elect for either a Dubai mortgage, secured on your home in Dubai, or a UK mortgage, secured on assets at home. There are advantages and disadvantages to either method of financing the purchase of Dubai properties. Do your homework and evaluate which option is best for you in your hunt for a home in Dubai.
Legal services and documents concerning property for sale in Dubai

Do I need a lawyer when I am viewing property for sale in Dubai? What other legal services in Dubai are required when purchasing Dubai properties? Anyone new to the market for Dubai properties should seek professional advice before signing any legal documents when buying a home in Dubai.

As with major purchases anywhere, buying Dubai properties is not without risks. Professional advice is always best to help you avoid problems caused by inheritance and currency issues.

What else do I need to know about Dubai properties

The property market and legislation in Dubai is unlike almost anywhere else in the world. The system of freehold ownership of Dubai properties has only been in operation since 2002. Allowing foreign owners to register their properties is an even more recent inception.

Property for sale in Dubai is generally of the highest order. A few large construction companies are responsible for building Dubai properties and foreigners are not allowed to own land. This means buying a plot, acquiring planning permission and building your own home in Dubai is not possible.

If you are to be receiving a pension in Dubai then there are steps you must take to ensure you can receive it in the city and do not lose out.

Taking professional advice is the best way to keep yourself right at all stages when buying Dubai properties. Buying a home in Dubai is not something you should rush into and you should bear this in mind when viewing property for sale in Dubai.