Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The Hub, Farnborough Business Park, Farnborough, GU14 7JF

GoldFish Removals & Storage - "Providing Solutions"

T: 01252 302341

My Blog


Exporting your vehicle

Posted on March 14, 2012 at 5:33 AM
You’ll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) when you are taking your vehicle out of the country on a permanent basis. If you are taking your vehicle or a hired vehicle on a temporary basis, you must take the appropriate documentation with you.
Taking your vehicle abroad for more than 12 months (permanent export) When a vehicle registered in the United Kingdom (UK) is taken out of the country for 12 months or more, it’s regarded as being permanently exported from the UK.You can tell DVLA by filling in the section ‘Notification of Permanent Export’ (V5C/4) of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C), and send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1BD. Keep the rest of the registration certificate, as you may need this to re-register the vehicle abroad. Your vehicle will become subject to the legal requirements of the new country when exported.If you don’t have a registration certificate you’ll need to get a certificate of permanent export (V561). Download and complete the V756 ‘Application for certificate or permanent export’ and send to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG.

Moving between Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland (NI) with your vehicle You only need to fill in the change of address section on your V5C (moving from GB to NI) and send to a Driver Vehicle and Operator (DVO) office, or your V5CNI (moving from NI to GB) and send to a DVLA local office as your vehicle is staying in the UK.When transferring the vehicle from GB to NI you should leave the current tax disc on the vehicle until it expires and then re-tax in NI. This is the same for vehicles transferring from NI to GB.The form V561 is no longer applicable when vehicles are moving between GB and NI.
Personalised registration on your vehicle You’ll need to transfer or retain your personalised registration before you export the vehicle. If you don’t, you’ll lose your entitlement to the registration number.

The 'direct export' and 'personal export' schemes You can only take a vehicle abroad under the direct or personal export schemes if you meet the right criteria.Direct exportIf you buy a vehicle under the ‘direct export scheme’ it must be taken abroad without being used on UK roads. You don’t have to pay a first registration fee or vehicle tax.The DVLA local offices that deal with direct exports are:Birmingham, Chelmsford, Northampton, Wimbledon.Once the vehicle is exported the manufacturer or applicant should return the appropriate part of the direct export certificate (V308) to the local office.Personal exportUnder the ‘personal export’ scheme, a vehicle can be used on UK roads for a limited time before exporting it to a country outside the EU. You must either be an overseas visitor to the UK or a UK resident intending to live outside the UK for six months.UK residents can use the vehicle in the UK for up to six months but the vehicle has to be taxed. Overseas visitors can use the vehicle for up to 12 months without tax. A registration mark will be given from the ‘XA – XF’ range and a pink registration certificate (VX302) issued. These vehicles are subject to the first registration fee.DVLA local offices that deal with personal exports are:Beverley, Birmingham, Bristol, Chelmsford, Glasgow, Leeds, Lincoln, Maidstone, Manchester, Northampton, Norwich, Oxford, Stockton, Wimbledon.

Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months (temporary export) If a UK registered vehicle is taken abroad temporarily, it remains subject to UK law. This means that you as the keeper, must by law make sure that the vehicle stays taxed while it’s overseas. Providing the vehicle has a current MOT certificate and insurance, you’ll be able to tax the vehicle.If you don’t tax the vehicle and it’s brought back to the UK untaxed, the vehicle will need to be transported and not driven upon entry back to the UK and SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) should be declared straight away.You can tax or SORN online or by telephone, but please note that SORN can’t be made while the vehicle is abroad.If you don’t have a registration certificate and you are taking the vehicle out the country on a temporary basis you can get a replacement from DVLA by phoning or applying by post.

The registration certificate may take up to four weeks to arrive. If you need to travel during this time you’ll need to apply for a temporary registration certificate (V379), available from a DVLA local office. You'll need to provide proof of ID and there’s a fee for the service.You should make sure that you meet any international and national conditions for licensing and taxation.

Export licence for historic military vehicles If you are a military vehicle owner, and wish to take your vehicle to another country you will need to apply for an Open General Export Licence. For more information see the Department for Business link.

Taking a hired vehicle abroad temporarily The registration certificate for a leased, hired or rented vehicle will normally be held securely by the company that supplied the vehicle. When travelling abroad it’s important that you are able to show you are allowed to use the vehicle. The Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE 103) is available as evidence of this. The certificate, which is subject to a small fee, may be obtained from the following organisations:
  • AA - Automobile Association
  • RAC - Royal Automobile Association
  • RHA - Road Haulage Association
  • BVRLA - British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association
  • FTA - Fleet Transport Association

More useful links Vehicle tax is due to expire while you're abroad

Categories: General

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.


Reply CathyHaden
11:02 AM on September 27, 2012 
I think that the best tips to tell you are beware of your neighborhood, the vehicles and cabs you travel in, and take care of yourself. This is because as you move to New City, you'll notice that people there are wild and many. The city is overcrowded with people who steal and break into people's homes.
Reply read it please
11:15 AM on October 12, 2012 
Nice interpretation! I'm impressed to get your all information about the exporting vehicle from your post. I was looking forward for such kind of post which would be effective for me and I got it from your post. Thanks for this pretty allotment.
Reply Garret Blaise
11:39 AM on October 15, 2012 
How helpful post it is..!! This post is providing the system of exporting vehicle from one country to other country. I am so excited to read this allocation. Thanks a lot for posting this helpful content here. Keep it up...
Reply Whosale Sexy linGerie
6:37 AM on December 6, 2012 
Dear, I am very like your website and all post. it is great and usefull for us. i will often come here,and support any post which your push. Tks.welcome to our website : sexy lingerie UK
Reply personal car driver
8:32 AM on December 31, 2012 
It is really good to know all the important information about the permanently transfer or temporary transfer of vehicle and its related necessary documentation.
Reply forklift rental
8:10 AM on January 2, 2013 
Proper documentation is very important at the time of vehicle exporting. The facts and information is really useful to exporting it.
Reply RC Helicopters
6:15 AM on January 15, 2013 
Thank you for giving me the information provided, let me once again disintegration. Thank you, hope you the next post birth, looking forward to.......
Reply best china tablet
5:46 AM on January 17, 2013 
its a lovely web site ,i would like it , I am glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us. iwill be back soon.
Reply military transport
7:16 AM on February 4, 2013 
Assuring the export license is much tougher job; especially for such a big product! I hope following your clues, it'll be easier for the seekers. Thanks for writing about some exclusive and precious info.
Reply metal springs
5:33 AM on February 5, 2013 
Your information about vehicle exportation issue analysis is too much successful and entice me to know more about it. It is really a useful about automobile factors and their information. So thanks a lot for this essential weblog.
Reply Europe walking holidays
6:08 AM on February 5, 2013 
Exporting vehicle is always a tough task but now I think you guys are doing excellent job in providing help by such services and I am sure all the readers will be benefited from this information.
Reply Bicycle accident lawyers
8:10 AM on February 5, 2013 
It is really good to have a complete information of the exporting vehicle from outside the country. Exporting a vehicle may require the filing of Electronic Export Information (EEI) with other information which is very important.
Reply Credit for small business
1:28 PM on February 6, 2013 
The information you have provided is exceptional. I was pointed such type of topic since long but lastly nowadays my search is over and special thanks to you. Your blog is not only instructive but useful too.
Reply Sexy High Heels Beige
1:49 AM on February 11, 2013 
Do you like the fashion of high heels?
Reply car accident lawyers
5:34 AM on February 14, 2013 
Exporting vehicle is a very tedious task for me. Once, I have faced the situation and very much frustrate with this.
Reply bilprovningen
7:54 AM on February 17, 2013 
Useful blog! I have come to know about your blog which provide us car exporting details. I am happy to get this information because I will export some car. Thanks!
Reply cheap movers
8:23 AM on February 23, 2013 
Dude, I have come to gain much knowledge on Exporting my vehicle which has come to make me wiser and more knowledgeable on this concept. Thanks a lot mate for posting such kind of informative info.Keep it up.
Reply limousine service washington dc
11:06 AM on February 24, 2013 
What an enlightening blog regarding Exporting my vehicle! I have come to learn about Direct export and personal export by the assist of your blog which was unknown to me. But now I am clear on this concept. Thanks.
Reply coach outlet online
8:29 AM on February 27, 2013 
This is my first time i visit here. I discovered so numerous interesting stuff in your weblog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all of the enjoyment here! maintain up the great work.
Reply here
12:42 PM on March 10, 2013 
Before you export the vehicle. If you don’t, you’ll lose your entitlement to the registration number.